Few tips for a first-time visitor in Sinulog Festival
January 14th, 2019
If you are a traveler, it has been a must to know about your destination before going there including the go-to places, the food to try, and of course the occasions it celebrates.
Every third Sunday of January in honour of the Child Jesus, Sr. Santo Niño, Cebuanos celebrates this feast called Sinulog. The festival’s name came from the Cebuano adverb “sulog” which means “water current movement.”
According to tripzilla.ph, Sinulog is oftentimes compared to Brazil’s famous Mardi Gras.
For first-time visitors to the festival, here are some of the highlights of the festival that you might consider joining:
- Novena mass
- Solemn procession route
- Sinulog grand parade route
Aside from the highlights these tips might be useful to first-time visitors as well:
- Wear comfortable clothing like rubber shoes or sneakers because Sinulog also means a lot of walking. Like walking around the city!
- You’ll be needing a lot of sunblock. Like a lot! Since most of the time you’ll be out in the streets, it is important to protect yourself from harmful UV rays.
- If you think wearing sunblock is not enough, you can wear sunglasses and even hats to protect yoursef from the harmful rays of the sun.
- Drink lots of water. We mean, lots of it! Aside from staying protected from the sun, it is also important to keep yourself hydrated!
- Avoid bringing too much stuff and of course, flashy accessories. You don’t want to attract unwanted attention and spend the whole day looking after your belongings.
With all these things mentioned, we do hope you get yourself prepared for the festival and have more time to enjoy the moment. If ever we have missed out on anything, do let us know! For now, see you on the streets!
April 11, 2019
April 03, 2019
March 28, 2019