‘Views’ From the Top: The Chart Records Set by Drake’s Album (So Far)
July 8th, 2016
Photo credit: gq.com
With the hip-hop superstar leading so many Billboard rankings, let’s look at Drake’s continued run of extraordinary chart success.
Here are his key achievements, one for each week that his album Views has led the Billboard 200.
1. Drake leads the latest Billboard Artist 100, Billboard 200 and Billboard Hot 100 charts simultaneously for a record-breaking eighth weeks. He passes Taylor Swift, who previously dominated the three tallies at the same time for seven weeks.
2. Drake’s album Views rules the Billboard 200 for a ninth week, encompassing its entire run on the chart. The set is the biggest-selling album released in 2016 (1.3 million copies sold in the U.S., according to Nielsen Music, dating to its May release).
3. Views has spent the most weeks atop the Billboard 200 for an album by a solo male in more than 10 years. The last album by a male soloist to spend at least nine weeks at No. 1 was Usher‘s Confessions.
4. At nine straight weeks, Views boasts the longest consecutive rule atop the Billboard 200 since Adele’s 21 spent 10 weeks in a row at No. 1 in January-March 2012.
5. Views claims the third-most total weeks at No. 1 ever on the Billboard 200 for a hip-hop album.
6. Views has drawn more than 1 billion on-demand audio streams for its tracks in the U.S., becoming one of only seven albums to total such a stratospheric streaming sum.
7. Views hit “One Dance” has led the Hot 100 for eight total weeks, the past seven weeks concurrently with Views topping the Billboard 200.
8. The week that Views debuted atop the Billboard 200 (May 21), Drake made history on the Hot 100, as he placed a record-breaking 20 titles on the Hot 100 that frame, the most that any act has charted on the ranking in one week.
9. Summer ’16: Given all of Drake’s chart honors, it’s no surprise that “One Dance” is the front-runner in the race for song of the summer.